CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Our thoughts on Prop 8

I realize that everyone in CA who does a blog has posted about Prop 8 and you're probably all sick of reading about it, but I REALLY REALLY think this is worth reading so I hope hope hope you'll stick with me here.
The election is in a few days and today about 70 of our closet friends met on the corner of Sepulveda and National and waved our Yes on Prop 8 signs for two hours this morning. It was actually a fantastic experience and I got choked up at one point, but I couldn't figure out why I should be getting emotional about it... until I came home and read something Chris wrote this morning.

"Last night I read an article in a news magazine describing how the nation is closely watching the battle over Prop 8 here in California; it seems that California, being by far the most populous state, has become something of a social and political bellwether for the country as a whole. As I lay in bed pondering the profound implications of our fight, both in California and the nation, some thoughts came to mind. I'm sure that the "higher ups" have talked about it since the beginning and that many have already realized this, but for me, it was and epiphany. So if you have already thought about this, please forgive my being intellectually and spiritually slow.

We have been taught that the U.S. Constitution was inspired of God and that one of the most fundamental and vital rights guaranteed therein is our right to freedom of religion. However, more than a right guaranteed by the Constitution, freedom to worship as one desires is our country's raison d'ĂȘtre - most school children can tell us that the Pilgrims came to America seeking religious freedom. Most importantly, it was a necessary condition for the Restoration of the Gospel in the latter days. I do not think it a stretch to argue that our nation was founded for the purpose of providing a place where the Gospel could be restored.

Court rulings on same-sex marriage in Massachusetts, California, and other nations, as well as voter approved alterations to the traditional definition of marriage in some places have proven to conflict with this most essential right.

Nothing new or insightful there, just setting the stage for what I realized.

We have numerous prophecies regarding the Constitution beginning in July of 1840. Joseph Smith taught (using Doctrine & Covenants 101 as a text):
“Even this nation will be on the verge of crumbling to pieces and tumbling to the ground and when the Constitution is on the brink of ruin this people will be the staff upon which the nation shall lean and they shall bear the Constitution away from the very verge of destruction.”

In a BYU devotional from 1976, Elder L. Tom Perry cited the following prophecies:

"First from Brigham Young, second president of the Church: “Will the Constitution be destroyed? No: it will be held inviolate by this people; and, as Joseph Smith said, ‘The time will come when the destiny of this nation will hang upon a single thread. At that critical juncture, this people will step forth and save it from the threatened destruction.’ It will be so.” (Journal of Discourses, 7:15.)

"Now another witness, John Taylor, third president of the Church: “When the people shall have torn to shreds the Constitution of the United States, the elders of Israel will be found holding it up to the nations of the earth, and proclaiming liberty and equal rights to all men, and extending the hand of fellowship to the oppressed of all nations.” (The Gospel Kingdom, Deseret Book Co., 1943, p. 219.) This is part of the program.

"A final witness is from George Q. Cannon, former member of the First Presidency, who said that “the day will come when the Constitution and free government under it will be sustained and preserved by this people.” (JD, 23:104.)"

Elder Perry continues: "Now, I declare to you that if we are not in the beginning stages of the fulfillment of this prophecy, we are at least in the stages where we are preparing for its fulfillment." Again, saying this in 1976!

As we work today to defend this most fundamental aspect of the Constitution under the direction of Prophets and Apostles, we cannot help but realize that we are, in fact, taking part in the fulfillment of these prophecies.

John Adams, the second president of the United States declared: “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” Furthermore, we are warned in Mosiah 29:27, "And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land." While the vote will take place in just a few days, our fight for what is right and ordained of God, whether the family or our right to worship as guaranteed by the Constitution, will continue and we are morally obligated to participate. That it is a weighty responsibility should never detract from the joy we feel in serving the Lord and the great honor that is ours to participate in the fulfilling of prophecy."

That's what I was feeling today. I will vote YES on Prop 8 because I've been asked to by a Prophet of God. I will vote YES on Prop 8 because I feel that the law currently violates my right to freedom of religion, I will vote YES on Prop 8 because I know that God ordained marriage between and man and a woman and that children have a right to be born into a family with both a mother and a father and I will vote YES on Prop 8 because it is my privilege and right to take part in the fulfillment of the prophesies of the latter days! I hope you too will vote...

VOTE YES ON 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post. I have had long discussions with my mother-in-law recently about the constitution and our part in preserving it. I really feel inspired when I hear these prophesies and I so want to be part of those who save the constitution from the brink of destruction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I love this post. I feel the same as you that as LDS we need to stand up for what we know is right. I live in Utah, so you are so lucky that you get to vote on Prop 8. Marriage between one man and one woman is ordained of God. I love the quotes that you included! Thanks for voicing truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Jenna. I am blown away when I come across members here in Utah that are not supporting what our prophets have asked of us. Please know that we are supporting the California members and our thoughts and prayers are with you. xoxo
    PS Shea looked so cute in those pics! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna, your post is beautiful. As you stated, I have seen so many blogs with this information, but I have seen so few that are as uplifting and poignant as yours is. The ones I have been reading are very full of blame and judgment and it breaks my heart! Yours is inspirational and I truly appreciate its sentiment. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a very interesting post on proposition 8 and how it fulfills the Constitution prophecy by Joseph Smith. Check out my blog: benwilloughby.blogspot.com I take just a little different perspective on it but its interesting how close our 2 opinions are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post. I, too, have felt the spirit so strongly that we are doing a great work, THE WORK on behalf of generations to come. WE are the pioneers who are blazing the way for the nation, for our families. WE are the ones he has chosen to fight for this cause, to give everything we have, even our own lives if necessary, for sustaining and defending the kingdom of God. I can't tell you how many times the Spirit has confirmed this to me. I'm so humbled to be part of this effort alongside of such WONDERFUL dedicated members of our ward and community. I love you all so much and have grown so much closer to the members of our ward through this effort. It feels really good to follow the prophet and to know we have so many people cheering for us on the other side. Really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, that photo of Alisa and Shea is adorable! I have one of you and Clare I need to send to you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ought to read in Mormon Doctrine under "Signs of the 2nd Coming" as well.

    I hope we see Californians make the right decision. Your post was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I found this post through Em. It is really great. thanks for digging up all those quotes. I am in SD and have also loved working on Prop 8. It has been great and I have been so impressed with the many faithful saints who have worked so hard for such a great cause. I also noticed you have a daughter named, Clare. I have a Clare too. I've never met anyone else who spells it without the i! Very cool! Denise Gonda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenna...what a great blog! I love your comments on prop 8. Most of my family are in Northern California and have worked very hard on this as well. In some ways I wish we could vote nation wide on this issue.I don't know what I am more excited about, the outcome of prop 8,or who will be the new president. Keep up the good work and blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post Jenna, truly inspiring. We have a marriage ammendment on the ballot in AZ too. You are great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post is indeed very eloquent and I don't doubt that your position on Prop 8 is based on your strongly held religous beliefs and not fear or hatred.

    BUT, I still don't understand how gay marriage interferes with your ability to worship as you see fit. The Catholic church doesn't allow divorces, but the fact that civil law in the US does allow them doesn't prevent Catholics from following their faith. The governement does not force the Catholic church to perform marriage ceremonies for divorced pepople and would not force the LDS church to marry same sex couples.

    I agree that a baby being raised by a married mixed sex couple is probably best for most. But this seems a moral question not a legal one. We don't remove babies from women who give birth out of wedlock or when their spouse dies.

    I'm a gay man, so obviously, have a personal stake on this as I feel gay marriage will allow more stable and longer-lasting same sex relationships.

    I hope you will at least think of these things in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. fredaverick,

    Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your opinion and civility. But the analogy you draw between the Catholic Church's stand on divorced individuals and churches being forced to accept and/or perform same-sex marriages doesn't quite hold up. Legally, they're completely different situations. This is evident in the fact that, during the short period between the court ruling and this week's election, churches have been sued throughout the state not only for refusing to marry same-sex couples, but simply for continuing to teach their long held beliefs about marriage. In Massachusetts and other countries that have legalized same-sex marriage, courts have ruled that organizations, religious or otherwise, that do not offer all the same privileges to same-sex couples as they do to traditional couples are violating their newly accorded civil rights. That includes performing marriages.

    The most prominent example is that of the Catholic Charities in Massachusetts (see the link below).

    Domestic partnerships in CA have all the same rights as married couples (and we do not oppose that)*, the only difference is the name. More than a matter of semantics, this difference protects the freedom of religion guaranteed in the Bill of Rights.

    I hope this adequately responds to any questions you may have.

    Again, thank you for your comment.

    Best,
    Chris

    * LDS Church official statement regarding Prop 8 reads, "the Church does not object to rights for same-sex couples regarding hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights, so long as these do not infringe on the integrity of the traditional family or the constitutional rights of churches."

    http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/03/11/catholic_charities_stuns_state_ends_adoptions/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Honestly, I think the government has no business condoning marriage for anyone. I think that the individual churches should decide and that the government should approve it with a civil union. However, this also means that churches that approve of gay marriage should be able to do so. Religious Freedom works both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing all your thoughts about prop 8; we've been thinking about it a lot lately too. We even volunteered to make phone calls to California voters about it. Anyway, it still makes me wonder what is to come in the future in regards to the fate of our great nation. I know several young people that have been blessed with the future honor of defending the Constitution. Makes you think... Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete