CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A few good recipes

I hate chili. Always have. I blame Grandma Hansen for starting the chili and donuts on Christmas Eve tradition. Sometimes I'm tempted by all the cheese and sour cream that you get to put on it, so I'll eat it, but I never like it. Well, it's getting a little chilly here and feels like fall and Chris has been begging me to make this chili recipe he found on Better Homes and Gardens. I finally relented and all I can say is WOW! I ate and ENJOYED chili, multiple times. If you're looking for an EASY, yummy fall, cold weather meal, this was really delicious. Next time I'll make it a day in advance and let it sit, it was divine on day 2.

Beefsteak Chili

1 1/2 pounds boneless beef top round steak
1 T cooking oil
1-2 medium onions, chopped (1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup beef broth
1 4oz can diced green chilies
1 T brown sugar
2 T chili powder
2 t dried oregano
1 t salt
1 t ground cumin
2 15 oz cans pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
cheese and sour cream to top

Partially freeze beef. Slice across the grain into small, thin strips. Brown half the meat in hot oil. Remove meat, brown remaining meat with onion and garlic (add more oil if necessary) drain fat and return mixture to pan.

Add all remaining ingredients except beans and toppers. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour. Stir in beans, cook 5 minutes. Top with cheese and sour cream and serve with corn bread.


Another great one I just tried tonight and really loved is an oven fried chicken that came from Megan although I modified it a tiny bit. I have about 5 of these so I'd never tried this one, but I think this one is better than all my others. We loved it!

Oven Fried Ritz Chicken

4-6 chicken breasts
2 tubes Ritz crackers
6 T Parmesan cheese (I LOVE using the shredded not grated, for breadings, it adds a lot of texture to the breading and tastes delicious as it crisps up.)
1-2 cups sour cream
1/3-1/2 cup melted butter

Crush Ritz crackers in a Ziploc bag and add the Parmesan cheese. Coat chicken generously in sour cream then roll in crackers and cheese mix. Place in a baking dish and drizzle with melted butter. Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through.

Served with mashed potatoes, gravy and a salad, it's a delicious dinner. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the chili recipe! Sounds good. We love the Ritz Chicken recipe. I even changed it up once when I had a bunch of honey mustard salad dressing. I used that in place of the sour cream, and then when it was just about done I put slices of lunchmeat ham and swiss cheese on top to make a Malibu chicken dish. Yum.

    ReplyDelete