CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Blue Jacaranda



Los Angeles right now is absolutely covered in one of the most beautiful trees I've ever seen. I can not get enough of them. They are breathtaking. So today, on my way to Beverly Hills I took a few pictures and then educated myself. Isn't Wikipedia wonderful?

The Blue Jacaranda (I think they're more purple than blue but...)

The Blue Jacaranda has been cultivated in almost every part of the world where there is no risk of frost. In the United States it growns in many southern states, California and Texas. The flowers are up to 5 cm long, and are grouped in 30 cm panicles. They appear in spring and early summer, and last for up to two months. Pretoria, the administrative capital of South Africa, is popularly and poetically known as Jacaranda City because of the huge number of the trees which turn the city blue when they flower in the spring. People in Australia sing a Christmas song about Jacaranda trees, as the blooms are only seen in the summer time - as the song explains, "When the bloom of the jacaranda tree is here, Christmas time is near." And in Argentina, writer, Alejandro Dolina, tells the legend of a massive jacaranda tree planted in Plaza Flores in Buenos Aires, which was able to whistle tango songs on demand.
I'm pretty sure our Jacaranda's won't sing for us, but they sure are beautiful!!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for these beautiful photos and for telling me the name. I've been walking around asking neighbors, "What is the name of the tree with the purple flowers?" I love them too, and I think that this is one of their best years. I don't remember the purple blossoms lasting as long in years past. Yeah Jenna--you solved the mystery for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They certainly are beautiful! So much nicer than anything I've seen lately here in the DESERT. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE these trees! Definitely my favorite part of this time of year. I just found out the name from my mother in law! I think I want one of these in my yard one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally spectacular. Thanks for sharing. I love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, they most certainly are beautiful! Almost worth a trip to see them, oh wait, I can't afford the gas;)

    ReplyDelete