CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Diagnosis

Finally! We found out a few weeks ago what Clare has. I've just been so busy I haven't been able to post. So the hemotologist/oncologist we saw diagnosed her with Primary Autoimmune Neutropenia. This condition means that her body creates antibodies to her neutrophils (white blood cells) so she can't fight infections. The great news is that studies of children studied for up to six years showed that most cases of autoimmune neutropenia "resolved spontaneously after a median of 17 months." It's not very common, Children's Hospital LA is only treating 6 other kids with this disorder. She'll have her blood drawn every 3 months and sometime in the next 2 years-ish, when we go in for a blood draw, they'll call and tell me she has normal levels of neutrophils. In the mean time, we have to be careful and try to keep her healthy and away from bacterial infections especially. I'm so grateful that it's not more serious and that we finally know what it is!

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you finally have a diagnosis. I bet it helps to know what you can do instead of guessing what to do. She is a super cutie and I love to see how big the kids are getting in their pictures:) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really interesting. YOu'll have to keep us posted on this! Please please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I can imagine what a relief that is to finally know. Still scary though that you have to be aware of where you take her and what she might come into contact with. I hope they call you soon and tell her her levels are normal. Happy Day. And I'm so sad I missed you in Arizona! I got to see everyone but you and that bummed me out. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great that you finally know, hopefully the next 17-months passes uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great that you finally know, hopefully the next 17-months passes uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to hear the update. Thank you for posting. We will look forward to the "17 month" ish update.

    ReplyDelete