CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 16, 2009

Admitted to the hospital!! Uggh!

I'm tired.

Wed (2 weeks ago today) - Clare comes down w/ fever. It was over 104 degrees almost the entire time and lasted 10 days!
During that 10 days:
-Shea got a "stuck" (stuffy) nose.
-Chris got a wicked, nasty flu that lasted 3 days.
-Clare had a trip to the ER for said fever. (Lots of tests and five hours later... it's a virus. Go home.)
-A few days later Clare goes in for blood tests to see if it really was a virus.
-We find out (accidentally) at 11pm one night (super, duper scary - she got welts and her eyes swelled shut), and all this while she's still totally sick -that she's seriously allergic to sesame seeds.
-Another trip to the doctor and more blood tests for the allergy sitch.
-Chris then gets a toothache that morphed into a really, really bad abscessed, infected tooth. It's so bad that 4000 milligrams of over the counter pain killers and some Vicadin don't even touch it, so he had to have an emergency root canal on Sunday.
-Also on Sunday Clare's Dr. calls to say he was reviewing her latest round of tests and they don't look good.
-MORE blood tests.
Which brings us to today.
Dr. calls again (I'm beginning to hate it when he calls me.) Her lastest round on test results do not show improvement and he wants me to take her to the ER and from there wants her admitted to the hospital. So I take her to UCLA Westwood, we wait for an hour (and still haven't even made it to Triage - apparently chest pains are more serious that a fever that ended 4 days ago.) when some lady comes up to me and says the Dr. is sending us over to Santa Monica where they have a bed for Clare. So we come over here and wait another hour in admitting. Then we get here and wait 4 more hours before the testing even starts. And then she gets a gazillion tests, an IV (ugh!) etc.
(Side note here: The Drs. were a little concerned when they took her diaper off while examining her and found her bum totally green. I was quite embarassed to have to admit that I may have put in a bit too much Wilton's yesterday when dyeing all their St. Patrick's Day food since her bright green poop still had enough color in it to dye her bum. The resident thought it was funny though. His exact words were, "Shut up! That is so cool!"
What it looks like now is that she's got a really low iron count. Apparently I don't feed her enough meat (among other things) but more importantly and unrelatedly, her body is destroying her white blood cells. They're not sure if it's because of the fevers or in response to the fevers or what and she might grow out of it - but in the mean time she's under neutropenic precautions - which means we won't be hanging around much anymore. She can't be anywhere near anyone who was recently sick, is sick, or might shortly become sick. Another virus/infection will tank her red blood cells and she'll be in serious trouble and admitted to the hospital again for IV antibiotics for days and days. They might have to do bone marrow tests later this week (I can not even describe how I feel about that.) My poor little thing. She's been such a trooper today. I'm so tired right now that even this chair/cot thingy is looking good.
Real good.

13 comments:

  1. Oh no, I'm so sorry. You guys are in our prayers and please let us know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FLOOD FAMILY!?!?!?! I'm so SAD! You are in your thoughts and prayers! YIKES! Give Clare a big squeeze and a kiss from us. She is an amazing little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jenna, that makes our week of sickness seem like a walk in the park. How awful to go through all that and think you're finally done with it all to find out, you're not done and it's worse. Should I be worried that my kids eat very little meat or vegetables?

    You all will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no! I am so sorry. I hope everything is okay with Clare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for you! You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Tell little Clare to get feeling better! And on that note, tell Shea, Chris and you to feel better too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh. I will pray for you guys right now. When it rains it pours huh!! I am sure everything will end up being OK and you will join the club of parents who carry around epi-pens in their purses. Let me know if I can do anything for you! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just checked your blog and had no idea this was going on?! Please, PLEASE let us know if we can do anything. We have LOTS of DVDs if Shea needs a new fresh supply. Meals, late night phone call, anything. We'll be praying for you and sweet Clare!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh!! I had no idea this was happening. Poor thing!! You guys are definitely in our prayers. I will call you later for an update. Let me know if I can do anything else for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to admit I laughed at the green poop thing. How funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH my goodness! Jenna! What a week! Please please keep us updated and you guys will most definitely be in our prayers! I hope this all blows over and turns into nothing at all, just some low iron that needs a boost. They always thought Crew was brewing an infection when he was anemic. I hope it's nothing serious at all!! Rebound, little princess! You can DO it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chere famille Flood,
    Nos prieres sont avec vous et surtout avec votre petite Clare.
    Baptiste & Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so so sorry! I hope she gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yikes. this is so scary. i'm so sorry to hear this. poor little miss clare. we will definitely keep you guys in our prayers. i will have chris give you guys a call later today and find out the latest. give her a big hug from us!

    ReplyDelete