CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hosptial Update

Day 2 was long and boring and tonight will probably (keeping fingers crossed here) be our last night. Today we saw our pediatrician, a hematologist, a team from Infectious Disease, several residents, all our nurses and lots of Care Partners. Good thing Clare is social.

So the update is that the Neutrophils (the body's first line of defense - they rush to the site of any infection, damage or inflammation and battle it out) in Clare's white blood cells are gone. A person is considered Neutropenic (when your immune system is compromised and you are are a severe risk of infection due to a low level of neutrophils) if they have a level below 2000. Clare doesn't have a single neutrophil in her blood at all. Entirely gone. This scares people here, alot. However, the great news is that they regenerate quickly and if whatever's causing them to disapear can be fixed, she'll make more in a few days time. So... that leaves us trying desperately to figure out why her little body's not making them. After all the consluting today and endless tests, the smart money is on a wicked, nasty virus that just used them all up. If that's the case, and we're so hoping that it is, as the alternatives are unthinkable, then we get to go home tomorrow, because you can't treat a virus, and then we just have to be super, duper, extra, super, super careful w/ our little Clarabelle until her neutrophil levels are back to normal.
Our wonderful bishop came over tonight and he and daddy gave her a blessing and we feel good. My heart is so full tonight. I'm so grateful for the amazing friends and family who have been so willing and eager to drop whatever they're doing to help a friend in need. Thank you so much for all your comments, your love, prayers, support, well wishes, dinners and kid and husband watching. :-) Your love means the world!
More updates soon. I gotta break out that awesome sleeper chair now. :-)

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeing us updated! Our prayers are with you all. Neutrophils... never heard of those before!!! When will she be retested to see if she is regenerating? Is she exhibiting any sickness symptoms now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! What a scary experience! I'm so sorry to hear that she's not doing well. Hopefully you guys will get it all figured out today and everything will be perfectly fine. Don't you just love priesthood blessings!?! We will be thinking of you guys and anxiously awaiting your next update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been several days since I last checked your blog, and we are so sorry to hear that your little Clare has been through this ordeal as well as your whole family. We are praying for her recovery and quick return to good health. We love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I am so sorry I'm not around to help out. What a crazy, scary week you guys have had. I'm keeping Clare in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenna, Please let me know if I can help in any way. I am so sorry to hear about how sick little Clare is. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a week! You'll be in all our prayers. God's strength be with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All that I can say is WOW and SCARY...I hate being in the hospital with the kids even if it is just for stiches...you seem to be handleing it better than I could...We will be thinking about you guys..It makes me so sad...I am sure it will all be ok..We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! I had no idea that there was such a condition as that. PLEASE call and let me help in some way. Anything. I'll be waiting to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ug! What an awful experience! Poor little thing. Keep us posted and we will be keeping you all in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete